From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 64: Standardize contents of VDB and establish and API for exporting this information.
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 15:11:55
1 On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 11:06:13 -0400
2 "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o> wrote:
3 > On 08/31/14 08:46, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 08:43:48 -0400
5 > > "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o> wrote:
6 > >> What is specified in the GLEP is what information
7 > >> should be cached and that a clearly documented API be produced.
8 > > You are specifying the colour of the flowers on the shelf inside
9 > > the bikeshed before we've established whether we need to store
10 > > bikes, and if we do, whether we need a shed for them, and if we do,
11 > > whether it will have a shelf.
12 >
13 > If I follow your analogy you're suggesting there's no need to export
14 > VDB.
15
16 No, I am saying that *if* you think there is a need to make this kind
17 of information available, then you should think carefully about the
18 design of a feature which allows this. What you should not do is go on
19 about NEEDED.ELF.2 at this stage, because that's a minor technicality.
20
21 There are plenty of good reasons that VDB is not specified in PMS. You
22 are ignoring them all and jumping straight to the minor triviality you
23 think you care about, whilst not doing anything to address the actual
24 issue.
27 Ciaran McCreesh