From: Alistair Bush <ali_bush@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA Overlay Layout support.
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 06:19:04
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > On 11:59 Sun 25 Jan , Alistair Bush wrote:
3 >> Possible Solution:
4 >>
5 >> Merging java-overlay and java-experimental. From my perspective this
6 >> isn't a good one as we loss most of the benefits of java-experimental.
7 >
8 > Combine this with package.mask. To me, experimental means masked.
11 Experimental within java means a lot of things, or at least it should.
12 Anything from user contributed and non-dev qa'd to packages with
13 bundled jars to attempts to package projects like maven which are
14 difficult and time consuming ( and which attempts to do so have failed
15 numerous times before might I add ).
16
17 Asking non-dev contributors to handle package.mask's would be a "less
18 than ideal". Resulting in "interesting breakages". Currently by adding
19 java-experimental ( which might I add isn't available thru layman ) you
20 are accepting that risk.
21
22 At least java and kde have need of this, and I could imagine sunrise
23 could also use this ( either now or in the future ).
24
25 I have implemented a patch [1] tho support this from a repoman
26 perspective but believe its benefits could go much further.
27 Eventually I hope that zmedico will accept it, once he has a chance to
28 consider it and I have time to clean it up.
29
30 Once repository support is implemented (this is very much depending on
31 the details of the implementation) I will start making a patch to will
32 have portage check whether an overlays parents are "before" that overlay.
33
34 ali_bush
35
36 [1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~ali_bush/portage_parent_repo_support.patch