From: kuzetsa <kuzetsa@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2017 18:35:07
1 On 12/04/2017 01:11 PM, Christopher Head wrote:
2 > On December 3, 2017 1:35:23 PM PST, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >> The best way to reach specific Gentoo developers is through Bugzilla.
4 >> This gives the best chance for focused discussion on the specific issue
5 >> without unnecessary distraction for other developers who are not
6 >> interested in the specific topic.
7 > While this is true for bugs, is it true for everything else
8 > as well? Bugzilla seems to me to be a more reactive, rather
9 > than proactive, tool when dealing with changes of behaviour
10 > in particular packages, eclasses, etc.
11 --snip--
12 > Bugzilla isn’t so easily discoverable, given the number of
13 > bugs filed; gentoo-dev has the nice property that the
14 > maintainers self-select which proposed changes are important
15 > enough to announce, which Bugzilla doesn’t do. So if I wanted
16 > to be notified of all important changes to core system
17 > packages on Bugzilla, today, I would have to (1) choose the
18 > set of packages to follow myself, probably missing a few in
19 > the process, and (2) filter out the unimportant bug mail
20 > which currently never reaches this list at all.
21
22 Reading the gentoo-dev list will still be an option. If there's
23 a bug already open for a planned change (as often happens when
24 blockers are expected, etc.), filing a bug and marking as a
25 blocker will be an option. If the behavior is known in
26 advance that it will break your configuration or workflow,
27 etc. I think it's still fine to file a bug about the oversight
28 before implemented occurs. If not appropriate to file as a bug,
29 there are project aliases you can mail concerns to.
30 {reference below}
31
32 On the other hand, if it's not obvious there will be breakage,
33 then posting to the gentoo-dev list can't prevent it. Also,
34 the original proposal did state that non-devs who contribute
35 can request post permission, as needed.
36 {reference below}
37