From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] generating ChangeLog files automatically from `cvs commit`
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 13:40:08
1 On Wednesday 17 August 2005 08:16 am, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 18:18 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > logic:
4 > > - i'm lazy
5 >
6 > That's not a valid argument - you can use a bash function for calling
7 > echangelog and repoman as shown numerous times on this list.
8
9 it was part joke and part seriousness ... i already have my commits scripted
10 with echangelog/repoman, but that isnt the point
11
12 > > - i hate typing the samething twice (yes, bash scripting with echangelog
13 > > can kind of take care of this) ... it doesnt handle if you want to use
14 > > different commit messages for different files
15 >
16 > Can you give an example of why you would want to use different commit
17 > messages in a single commit?
18
19 i delete one version for being old, stabilize another ebuild, and add yet
20 another ebuild as a rev bump
21
22 > > - forces cvs log messages to actually be worthwhile to read and makes
23 > > browsing cvs history much nicer (it's very easy to look at the
24 > > differences between two files and match up a good commit message rather
25 > > than trying to figure out what message in the ChangeLog goes with it,
26 > > assuming there is one)
27 >
28 > See my first answer (bash function).
29
30 which does not matter if you commit individual files firest with different
31 messages before running your bash funcs
32
33 it also pollutes the cvs log history for files ... if i make different fixes
34 to different files but only commit with one message, you easily get a lot of
35 noise
36
37 > > - easily standardize ChangeLog format wrt to header, copyrights,
38 > > licensing, message formatting, name/date format
39 >
40 > Already done by echangelog.
41
42 not everyone uses echangelog
43
44 > > - generate dates in UTC down to the second rather than having devs hand
45 > > type them in their local timezone for just the current day
46 >
47 > I thought echangelog already did this based on TZ?
48
49 it does, but not everyone uses echangelog
50
51 > > - maybe some other things i havent thought of
52 > > - i'm lazy
53 >
54 > See my first answer (bash function).
55
56 heaven forbid you get a joke and laugh once in a while
57 -mike
58 --
59 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list