From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev and /usr
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 22:18:33
1 On Thursday, September 15, 2011 03:56:19 PM William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 09:27:06AM -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
3 > > On 09/15/2011 09:04 AM, Joost Roeleveld wrote:
4 > > > Thank you for your response, however, I do have a few questions
5 > > > about this. Where will this default initramfs actually need to be
6 > > > placed?
7 > >
8 > > It should be similar to how sys-apps/v86d is used for uvesafb support.
9 > > It installs /usr/share/v86d/initramfs and when you configure your
10 > > kernel, you set CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE="/usr/share/v86d/initramfs" in
11 > > order to have in included in your kernel image.
12 >
13 > Actually, we are looking at installing the initramfs image directly in
14 > /boot, then you will have to configure your boot loader to use it.
15
16 William,
17
18 This, to me, seems like the obvious solution.
19 However, to make the change as unobtrusive as possible for the majority of
20 users. Wouldn't it be possible to have grub support a "default initrd" in the
21 grub.conf and use that unless the grub-entry specifies it's own?
22
23 This is just an idea that I have. Not sure how much work this would bring.
24 It would still not catch the situation on my server where the kernel is passed
25 with the same mechanism to the xen-hypervisor and as such, the "defeault
26 initrd" would then be ignored. But on my desktop, this would work
27 automagically.
30 Joost