From: Tom Wesley <tom@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] i have an idea ! (erescue)
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 21:21:14
1 On Sun, 2005-05-15 at 17:18 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > one advantage that other binary based package managers have over Gentoo is
3 > ease of recovery from broken core packages ... break your gcc ? no problem !
4 > simply do `apt-get install gcc` or `rpm -i gcc` or whatever
5 >
6 > my proposal is to implement a new utility (called 'erescue' for lack of a
7 > better name) that is written in C and designed to be statically linked ...
8 > then next time you break a core system package which cannot be recovered by
9 > simply running `emerge` a few times, you run `erescue <broken package>`
10 >
11 > for example, when i broke binutils in unstable with a gcc4 patch, i noticed
12 > that it's hard for users to *easily* recover from this ... we developers end
13 > up scrambling to build a bunch of binary packages for a variety of compatible
14 > compiler/libc combinations so the user can just wget the file and run `emerge
15 > binutils.tbz2` and be on their way
16 >
17 > the packages that would be eligible for an 'erescue' package would be just
18 > about everything when you do `USE=-* emerge system -ep` ... i'm sure we can
19 > trim many of those out though :) maybe even create a new USE flag for some
20 > of these core packages so that we can trim out more files
21 >
22 > the idea would be to create very bare min packages so that the user can simply
23 > 'rescue' themselves ... after that, they it's up to them to re-emerge the
24 > package to apply all their fun ricer-optimizations as they see fit
25 >
26 > i dont think it'd be too hard to integrate this 'rescue set' into a catalyst
27 > target so that it'll become part of our normal release schedule of stage
28 > tarballs
29 > -mike
30
31 This would really help me at work, as I generally have to partimage my
32 workstation PC before updates that might break stuff.
33
34 I nominate "ecockup-reverse" as the name.
37 Tom Wesley <tom@×××××.org>