From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] gentoo-debuild & incoming: help needed!
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 13:19:02
1 Hi all,
2
3 The current gentoo-ebuild/incoming was devised when there were 2-3 ebuilds
4 submitted in a week on average, which needed to be organized in a convinient
5 location. Now there are often 2-3 ebuilds per day, so we need to reorganize.
6 In particular, developers should handle things at the gentoo-ebuild level,
7 not the incoming level.
8
9 I propose any combination of the following. Tell me what you think and
10 propose any other ideas.
11
12 0. drobbins, reminder: add the gentoo-ebuild submission rules to the list
13 page! (Although the rules will need to be changed based on what we decide
14 here).
15
16 1. Developers with particular interest in an ebuild, such as an ebuild that
17 is the result of a previous discussion with the author, should take it
18 themselves from gentoo-ebuild and edit/commit it to portage. In fact, if
19 there is are established communications between the developer and the author,
20 they needn't go through gentoo-ebuild at all.
21
22 2. Authors who want to update their ebuild often (like the mozilla case which
23 had at least 5 versions ubmitted on gentoo-ebuild) might get cvs access to
24 /usr/portage/incoming/username and do what they want in there, then get a
25 developer to move it to portage proper.
26
27 3. All developers should scan gentoo-ebuild once in a while, and pick up any
28 ebuilds they are interested in. On the same criteria as they would if the
29 ebuilds were in incoming.
30
31 4. If they see an intersting ebuild which however isn't good enough for
32 inclusion in gentoo, i.e. author didn't follow ebuild writing rules, they
33 should reply and instruct the author on making the correct changes.
34
35 5. As above, they should answer generic ebuild-writing questions on
36 gentoo-ebuild.
37
38 6. An ebuild that isn't picked up by anyone for say a 2-day limit can be
39 placed in incoming as now done.
44 Dan Armak
45 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team
46 Matan, Israel