From: luke@×××××××××.com
To: david@×××××××××.com
Cc: Dejan Nikic <dejann@××××××××××××.edu>, jtoyota@×××××××××.net, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 'submerge' was Re: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Embedded
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 07:10:03
1 On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 04:01:55PM -0800, david@×××××××××.com wrote:
2 > On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 03:38:42PM -0800, Dejan Nikic wrote:
3 > > well the thing is that you don't want to remove gcc, only portage some
4 > > unused libs (i doubt their any with default Gentoo install) and probably
5 > > all those man and doc files. There should be ways to statically link
6 > > everything, but that might be some work.
7 > >
8 > > I got a 200mb install now, that I will hackaway at and try to get it
9 > > bellow 50mb hopefully I'm thinking of maybe writing something that will
10 > > use an existing gentoo install and use gentoo's portage and stuff to build
11 > > an LFS-like (Linux from scratch) image.
14 > Turns out I had a lot of extra time at work today... ;-)
15 > well here is submerge. It is about 150 lines of bash and nothing very special.
16 > submerge takes a couple of configuration parameters in a file to run.
17 >
18 > I've attached it plus a sample config file. There are a couple extra
19 > features I have in mind for it... and I'm open to suggestions and code
20 > ;-)
21 >
22 > like I said before, a basic system can be done with:
23 >
24 > sys-kernel/linux-headers
25 > glibc
26 > =busybox-0.60.5-r1
27 > =gawk-3.1.2-r3
28 > =baselayout-1.8.6.8-r1
29 > tinylogin
30
31 I took your script for a testrun, overall very nice.
32
33 When I left the USE="-static", the overall size ended up being much larger,
34 so I removed it. Adding "-nls" is a good idea too, although its simple
35 enough to coopt localepurge.
36
37 I added the line
38 find ${ROOT_DIR} -name "*.a" | xargs -r r
39 as the first line of create_img.
40
41 I know gawk should eventually be removed as a dep of the init scripts, but
42 for now, removing ${ROOT_DIR}/bin/pgawk* helps.
43
44 tundra embeddedgentoo # ls work/bin/pgawk* -l
45 -rwxr-xr-x 2 root root 237376 Oct 31 15:55 work/bin/pgawk
46 -rwxr-xr-x 2 root root 237376 Oct 31 15:55 work/bin/pgawk-3.1.2
47
48 I do have a question - in the argument handling case statement, where do
49 the values for target and host come from?
52 luke
56 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list