From: Ultrabug <ultrabug@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving more arches to dev profiles
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 11:28:24
1 On 08/21/2013 01:04 PM, Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > It's time of year again to consider moving a few arches to dev-only status.
5 >
6 > I propose the following arches to lose their stable keywords
7 >
8 > - s390
9 > - sh
10 > - ia64
11 > - alpha
12 > - m68k
13 > - sparc
14 >
15 > The manpower on these arches is below acceptable levels and they often
16 > block stabilizations
17 > for many months. This also causes troubles to developers trying to get
18 > rid of old versions of
19 > packages.
20 >
21 > I am CC'ing Mike and on this to draw his attention since he seems to
22 > be doing stabilizations and
23 > keywording on a few of them. Moreover, Agostino is also doing a lot of
24 > work on these arches.
25 > Consider what will happen if he ever goes MIA or decides to retire ;)
26 > We will probably end up
27 > with a pile of stabilization bugs like the good old days.
28 >
29 > In my opinion, having these arches be ~arch only, will improve the
30 > overall user experience
31 > since the arch teams will only have to test a single tree. It will
32 > also help developers get rid of
33 > old ebuilds and keep the portage tree healthy and reasonably updated.
34 >
35 > If I get enough positive feedback on this, I will propose this in the
36 > next Council's agenda.
39 +1
40
41 Even if I'm not directly concerned by those arches, I agree with your
42 point and can see its benefits for both devs and users.
43
44 Cheers