From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Michał Górny" <gentoo@××××××××××.pl>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] toolchain-funcs.eclass: functions to call compiler
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 05:41:54
1 On Wednesday, June 09, 2010 01:34:27 Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 18:44:55 -0400 Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On Sunday, June 06, 2010 03:45:51 Michał Górny wrote:
4 > > i dont know anything about zpaq, but it looks like you're installing
5 > > the bare .o files ? that's a bit odd. usually things like this are
6 > > installed as static archives for people to link in ...
7 >
8 > A single .o file exactly. ZPAQ in runtime can 'optimize' itself through
9 > creating compression scheme sources and calling 'zpaqmake' to compile
10 > it.
11 >
12 > The default 'zpaqmake.bat' included with it compiled these schemes
13 > along with 'zpaq.cpp' for the executable stub. I've decided that it'd
14 > be better to provide already compiled stub.
15
16 if it's all internal to zpaq itself (i.e. packages arent externally pulling in
17 the files w/out help), then the .o's are fine.
18
19 > Honestly, I didn't think long about the format. I guess .a could be
20 > better, or maybe even a shared library -- but GNU make doesn't seem to
21 > have implicit rules for these formats.
22
23 there are implicit rules for generating archives, but iirc, they dont work in
24 parallel. shared libs obviously dont exist because this is highly target
25 specific -- this is why libtool exists in the first place.
26 -mike