From: Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing policy about -Werror
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 22:59:14
1 On Sat, Sep 15, 2018 at 1:14 AM Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
2 > > On Sep 14, 2018, at 5:28 PM, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > On 15-09-2018 00:07:12 +0300, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
5 > >>>
6 > >>> Perhaps, if one persists on going this route, only do this for platforms
7 > >>> that upstream supports, such that arches which will suffer from this
8 > >>> (typically ppc, sparc, ...) don't have to be blocked by this.
9 > >>
10 > >> Exactly in these cases the -Werror is useful as if upstream expects no
11 > >> warnings then any warning should block installation and trigger bug
12 > >> report. In Gentoo in many cases we use packages on platform has no
13 > >> access to, our feedback to upstream is valuable. A great example is
14 > >> gnutls in which we collectively (maintainer, unstable users,
15 > >> architecture teams, stable users) found issues on architectures that
16 > >> almost nobody other than Gentoo has access to.
17 > >>
18 > >
19 > > I don't believe Gentoo users are (supposed to be) an extension of
20 > > upstreams. If upstreams insist on that, they should make their software
21 > > non-free, adding a non-modification clause or something. In any case,
22 > > it is not Gentoo's job IMHO. In the end it is Gentoo who needs to care
23 > > for its users. I prefer we do that by giving them an option to become
24 > > that extension of upstream, e.g. by USE=upstream-cflags, which Gentoo
25 > > disables by default.
26 > I am in complete agreement on this. Users should not be guinea pigs to help upstream unless they opt into it.
27
28 A new release of upstream is out, early adopters (what we call
29 unstable users) are guinea pings.
30 A new release is stabilized, users are guinea pings.
31 A new toolchain that upstream did not test, users are guinea pings.
32 A new dependency version or a Gentoo virtual with "compatible
33 library", users are guinea pings.
34 Let's say upstream does not have access to architecture X we at Gentoo
35 decide to support this architecture, maintainer do not have access to
36 this architecture as well, architecture team is guinea pings, but it
37 does not actually use the package, then back to early adopters and
38 users.
39
40 This process has nothing to do with -Werror, our process relays on
41 users as guinea pings, by definition developers and arch teams cannot
42 test entire software and all permutation of the software.
43
44 The -Werror (if supported by upstream and downstream, I outlined the
45 conditions many times) is a tool (among other) to help stop the
46 process at early stage when suspicious finding is there to allow deal
47 with the situation to make sure that the software is compatible with
48 an environment or permutation that upstream and maintainer do not have
49 direct access to. It is a tool to help users to have better system
50 integrity (once again, provided some conditions apply).