From: Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] eqawarn for main tree
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 18:19:36
1 Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> said:
2 > On 03/12/2010 11:27 PM, Zac Medico wrote:
3 > > On 03/12/2010 11:39 AM, Petteri Räty wrote:
4 > >> In eclasses there's often use for outputting QA warnings for ebuild
5 > >> authors (at least in java and python could immediately make use of
6 > >> this). Currently Portage has eqawarn available but it's considered
7 > >> internal. Hopefully eqawarn finds it's way to the next EAPI but in the
8 > >> mean while do we want:
9 > >>
10 > >> 1) Do a wrapper like attached to eutils.eclass
11 > >> 2) Use whatever e* function that seems most appropriate (for example
12 > >> einfo when it's common so user LOGging setups don't get too much noise)
13 > >> 3) Have a speedy next EAPI if we can find more stuff like this to bundle
14 > >
15 > > Here's another option:
16 > >
17 > > 4) Retroactively add eqawarn to all EAPIs and use introspection to
18 > > call eqawarn only if available (and drop the introspection after
19 > > about 1 year):
20 > >
21 > > declare -F eqawarn >/dev/null && \
22 > > eqawarn "this is ignored by older package managers"
25 > As there was no further response and next EAPI isn't around the corner I
26 > propose getting the ball rolling with option 1. I will commit the patch
27 > next Sunday with needed documentation unless something comes up.
28
29 Could you please give a description as to when you believe this function
30 should be used. Preferably as a patch for devmanual :)
31
32 Thanks,
35 Mark Loeser
36 email - halcy0n AT gentoo DOT org