From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: adding a modification timestamp to the installed pkgs database (vdb)
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 15:42:59
1 On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 11:09:07AM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > 2010/1/17 Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>:
3 > > Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>:
4 > >  As much as you love to have the new and shiny VDB2, it is far off.
5 > > Prototyping and drafting implementations would be great to have some
6 > > base where we can discuss on (in a civil manner).  So having this
7 > > timestamp would be a good way to prepare a sane migration path.
8 >
9 > No, it wouldn't. Brian's proposal a) would be of no use whatsoever for
10 > VDB2 migration, and b) would not be used by VDB2. Having a *decent*
11 > cache validation mechanism is a good idea; having a half-baked one is
12 > a waste of time.
13
14 Propose something, or shut up frankly.
15
16 If all you're going to contribute is "it's half baked" claims, you're
17 wasting folks time. You've had a couple of months of time to
18 counterpropose something- back it up with a proposal or be silent
19 please.
20
21 As is, quite a few folk see how experimental vdb2/vdb1 synchronization
22 can be done w/ this timestamp- your claims thus far that it won't work
23 seem to boil down to "but not everyone will update the timestamp".
24
25 Which gets right back to why I'm elevating this to the council to
26 *force* PMS to include this, thus force the holdout (paludis) to
27 update the timestamp thus invalidating your cyclical claim.
28
29 Either way, you find issues w/ the proposal you're more then free to
30 propose something else- hell, I'll even listen if it's sane.
31
32 What I won't do is sit around and listen to you whinge about the sky
33 falling or that I/others are being idiots via not going
34 the route *you* want and standardizing caches across all the managers-
35 as I said, you want that functionality *you* propose it.
36
37 About the only thing paludis shares w/ portage/pkgcore is a potential
38 installed-pkgs-cache of pkg names; this isn't incredibly useful
39 frankly (it's nice for cold cache searches but that's it). The cache
40 usage between portage/pkgcore vs paludis differs a fair bit, as such
41 trying to define an LCD vdb cache is pointless. Further it's not what
42 I'm after and you've already opposed adding caches to vdb1 w/in the
43 ticket- you want something beyond this, then go nuts.
46 Either way, that's pretty much the bar I'm sitting for continuing
47 discussion of this w/ you- either it's going to be productive w/
48 specific claims (no more of this vague handwaving bullshit) and moving
49 towards accomplishing something or I'm just going to continue
50 ignoring your disruptive behaviour, instead getting majority PMS
51 consensus and then pushing it up to the council bypassing your
52 shenanigans.
53
54 It's not how things should be done, but it's about the only way to get
55 something done when you dig in and go cyclical. Wish it weren't that
56 way, but I've more interest in progress then playing games w/
57 folk looking to be poisonous.
58
59 Seriously, if you can't even be bothered to spell out your claims in
60 full or layout a counter proposal, instead spending your time
61 screaming "nyah nyah it won't work!" as you did for prefix, I'm not
62 having it.
63
64 There are better uses of folks time frankly, and users deserve
65 functionality over daft pissing matches.
66
67 Be productive and constructive, or be ignored pretty much.
68 ~harring