From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:01:50
1 On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 09:43:59 +0000 (UTC)
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3 > > Because a) a future EAPI might want to change EAPI into a function
4 > > rather than a variable, b) there are a zillion ways of setting a
5 > > variable in bash and people already use all of them and c)
6 > > introducing new weird format requirements is silly.
7 >
8 > So you're proposing putting the function into the filename?
9
10 No, I'm saying that the data goes into the filename.
11
12 > As he stated, the only credible reason (so far given) bash must be
13 > used to parse EAPI is if it's dynamic, say a function, and that won't
14 > work so well in a filename either.
15
16 No no no. Bash is the only thing that can parse bash. Ebuilds are bash.
17
18 > Thus, putting EAPI in the filename pretty much eliminates the
19 > possibility of it being a function, and we're back to the original
20 > question, instead of a GLEP allowing it in the filename, why not a
21 > GLEP specifying the format of that single variable in the file
22 > contents well enough to parse without bash?
23
24 Because that would be introducing a new, non-extensible, inflexible
25 requirement upon the content of ebuilds, and the goal of EAPI is to
26 avoid doing exactly that.
29 Ciaran McCreesh