From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge -C eselect-python disaster
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 14:04:09
I just picked a random reply here. My $0.02 worth. If I try to remove portage itself, I get this: root@smoker / # emerge -Ca portage >>> These are the packages that would be unmerged: * Not unmerging package sys-apps/portage-2.2_rc61 since there is no valid * reason for portage to unmerge itself. >>> No packages selected for removal by unmerge root@smoker / # It appears you can't even remove portage at all. Now call me silly, couldn't it be said that removing something that would prevent the package manager from working constitute a little warning? After all, most likely the person is not thinking clearly that day and most likely doesn't REALLY want to do this. Is there not a way to at the very least post a warning and then ask a 'are you sure' question like it does with the -a option? It's just that as a newbie ages ago, I did this too. I didn't realize that it was a nasty boo boo until afterwards. < dale crawls back under his rock > Dale :-) :-)