From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: The future of sys-apps/openrc in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 16:38:19
1 On 08/24/2010 11:57 PM, Nathan Zachary wrote:
2 > If we are going to endorse using OpenRC,
3 > the more relevant issues are the ones regarding its future development.
4
5 Is the future development of OpenRC more problematic than the future
6 development of baselayout-1? As far as I can tell, baselayout-1 never
7 had an upstream, and never will have one.
8
9 It seems like the debate is around openrc vs systemd or whatever. I
10 think the debate we need to settle first is openrc vs baselayout-1.
11 Otherwise we're going to end up maintaining TWO different legacy init.d
12 systems while we spend the next few years aiming for yet another target.
13
14 Wouldn't it make more sense to clean up openrc and get it deployed, even
15 if in the long-term we decide to get rid of it?
16
17 Alternatively, we drop support for openrc entirely, and tell everybody
18 running ~arch to move to our next target or back to baselayout-1. I
19 don't think we want to have three targets to maintain.
20
21 Rich