From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stabilize ebuilds which use EAPIs only supported by ~arch PMs
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 22:34:55
1 Marius Mauch kirjoitti:
2 > On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:59:39 +0200
3 > Jose Luis Rivero <yoswink@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 05:38:34PM -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
6 >>> On 02:03 Tue 14 Oct , Jose Luis Rivero wrote:
7 >>>> There are some others sceneries but are not so common as the one
8 >>>> presented could be. Any decent solution for this case?
9 >>> There are only a few obvious ones, you'll have to pick which one
10 >>> you like best. Most of the other options basically duplicate these
11 >>> in some way or add more work to them for negligible gain:
12 >>>
13 >>> - Backport the ebuild from EAPI=2 to EAPI=0
14 >> EAPI-2 to EAPI-0 could imply lot of changes (not talking about what is
15 >> going to happen when we release new and more feature rich EAPIs), and
16 >> changes usually come with bugs. The ebuild is committed directly to
17 >> stable implies bugs in stable, which for me is a no-go.
18 >
19 > Assuming the ebuild changes between foo-1 and foo-2 are mainly due to
20 > the change from EAPI=0 to EAPI=2 (which I'd expect to be true in many
21 > cases) you could just reuse the foo-1 ebuild for foo-3.
22 >
23 > If there are major differences between foo-1 and foo-2 not related to
24 > the EAPI change then the maintainer probably didn't want foo-2 to
25 > become stable anytime soon, so it's at least questionable if foo-3
26 > should go straight to stable in the first place.
27 >
28 > And adding a new version directly to stable always comes with a risk,
29 > you can't eliminate that completely. It's all about risk assessment,
30 > and how much work you're willing to do or time you want to spend to
31 > minimize the risk.
34 There's no need to commit straight to stable. Just make two different
35 new revisions for each EAPI. Then the arch teams can test it like usual.
36
37 Regards,
38 Petteri