From: Alex Legler <a3li@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Gentoo Phoenix] an official Gentoo wiki
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 14:30:36
1 On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 15:19:20 +0200, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
2 wrote:
3
4 > 1 - requirements
5 > ================
6 >
7 > In order to choose the best possible wiki implementation, we need to
8 > know our requirements. So what features do you think are essential or
9 > good to have? What syntax would we prefer to use?
10 >
11 > [...]
12 >
13 > - active upstream (bug fixes, security updates)
14 > - free open source software
15 > - ACLs
16 > - spam prevention measures
17 > - attachments (to upload screenshots for example)
18 > - feeds
21 I propose to use MediaWiki.
22
23 It fulfills all of your points above. Plus the software is proven in
24 large scale deployments and the security track record is alright.
28 > 2 - maintainers
29 > ===============
30 >
31 > Who is volunteering for maintaining the wiki? We need editors and
32 > moderators, people who look out for quality control and take care of
33 > spam removal. So let's get together a team. I'm sure if we ask on the
34 > forums we'll get some users interested as well.
35
36 I'd be interested in helping out with the backend part, i.e. setting up
37 and maintaining the Wiki software and the needed extensions,
38 user management and support.
42 > 3 - edit access
43 > ===============
44 >
45 > Do we keep to the original "free for all" model, with all the spam
46 > that includes, or do we go with registered users only? I think the
47 > latter is the smarter option. I also think we will want to mark
48 > certain pages "official" and lock down editing rights.
51 Here's another idea:
52 The German Wikipedia uses a concept called "sighted revisions". If you
53 visit an article without logging in you will see the latest sighted
54 revision, as an identified user you can also view the latest revision.
55
56 For the editing part:
57 Some users have the privilege to mark revisions as "sighted". In
58 Wikipedia, you gain that privilege automatically after 300 or so edits.
59 We could of course set that bit manually or use another threshold.
60
61 If a "regular" user makes a contribution, one of the editors would go
62 and check the changes and mark the revision as sighted.
65 > Is there anything else we should consider before getting started?
68 Maybe we should discuss what goals we want to reach with a Wiki.
69
70 One thing is offering user-contributed documentation, of course.
71 But do we also want a developer wiki? Or offer per-project realms in our
72 wiki? Or $something_else?
73
74 Alex