From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stabilization of Python 3.1
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 11:19:21
1 Olivier Crête wrote:
2 >
3 > ~arch is for testing ebuilds, not the upstream package
6 I'm pretty sure this isn't the case - at least not as cleanly as you
7 suggest. Certainly testing the ebuilds themselves is part of the reason
8 for having ~arch, but upstream readiness is part of it as well. If a
9 package hit ~arch and we got 10 serious bugs that were all upstream
10 problems and then somebody filed a STABLEREQ I know that I wouldn't be
11 the one to stabilize it.
12
13 The whole point of having QA is so that people who don't want to be
14 bothered with bleeding-edge packages aren't bothered with them. Masking
15 is for packages with known serious problems, ~arch is for packages that
16 we think are fine but don't have much production history with, and
17 stable is for packages that are known to be decent with history.
18
19 However, I'm not convinced that the 3.1 issues need to be a showstopper
20 for going stable. Others have made some of these suggestions, but let
21 me consolidate some ideas that have come up:
22
23 1. A tracking bug should be created to track 3.1 stabilization issues
24 (assuming it doesn't already exist).
25 2. Portage (and other system packages) deps should be checked to ensure
26 it pulls in the current version. This should be carefully coordinated.
27 3. -dev-announce message sent out to check your python deps and fix
28 them (logging blockers as needed). This need not be carefully coordinated.
29 4. einfo message about not eselecting the new version of python. News
30 message as well.
31
32 As long as the current version doesn't go anywhere and the current
33 version can be re-selected at-will, then I don't see how users can get
34 themselves into a corner.
35
36 The ability to support stuff like this is the reason we have SLOTs in
37 the first place.