From: Brad Laue <brad@××××××.com>
To: Mikael Andersson <snikkt@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is there a process for marking ebuilds stable?
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 22:03:23
1 On Mon, 2003-04-14 at 12:29, Mikael Andersson wrote:
2 > I don't think stable.gentoo.org is not a good solution since it's too much
3 > manual work included from a user for (apparently nothing) in return.
4
5 Agreed.
6
7 > I think the most efficient way to mark packages stable is statistics based.
8 >
9 > If you compare number of installations of a package against number of bugs
10 > filed and their severity i think you should get pretty decent stability
11 > figures for most packages. The exception to this is packages with few users
12 > but the users of such packages is probably more interested in 'voting' for
13 > their packages.
14
15 A tinderbox would be good to work around problems with 'unpopular'
16 packages. Over the course of this thread I've seen several problems
17 which an automated build and report system would solve.
18
19 > This is only an initial suggestion, please comment and improve :)
20 >
21 > 1) Successful Emerges/Bugs
22 > a) Count package downloads and bugs filed. If no blocker/critical bugs
23 > exists after a week or two mark as stable. For important packages this rule
24 > could be made more stringent.
25
26 Good idea.
27
28 > b) Count real merges/unmerges of packages and not only package downloads,
29 > this should to opt-in since it would in some way need to post information
30 > back to gentoo.org
31
32 The package system should probably be self-sufficient; the userbase is
33 too ephemeral to rely on for something like this; stable.gentoo.org is
34 evidence of that; a small fraction of the userbase is a) aware of it, b)
35 interested in using it, and c) interested in using it often enough.
36
37 Probably the only input a package should receive from a person is from
38 the maintainer itself.
39
40 Which leads me into another problem; currently there are no official
41 maintainers for a large number of the ebuilds in the tree. This prevents
42 the above from being doable; no one is around to represent and vouch for
43 the functionality of those ebuilds, just the bug reporting system.
44
45 So, is a tinderbox doable? One would have to be volunteered for each
46 supported architecture, or at least x86, sparc and powerpc to begin
47 with. One foreseeable complication would be the nearly infinite number
48 of combinations of USE flags, but I'm sure with discussion a way around
49 this could be found.
50
51 Thoughts?
52