From: Thilo Bangert <bangert@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The importance of test suites
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 09:41:54
1 "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." <phajdan.jr@g.o> said:
2 > On 2/21/10 5:08 AM, Ryan Hill wrote:
3 > > I have one simple request. When you make a non-trivial change to an
4 > > ebuild - a patch, a version bump, anything that can effect the
5 > > behaviour of the package - please run the test suite.
6 >
7 > Yeah, on my dev box I just run with FEATURES="test" all the time. Then
8 > it's impossible to forget it. And I also catch failures in other
9 > packages.
10 >
11 > Maybe it should get more exposure in the developer docs?
12 >
13 > > If it fails, fix it. Or restrict it. Or even make it non-fatal if
14 > > there's no other choice.
15 >
16 > It's really frustrating when there is a bug reported about package
17 > failing tests and everybody can reproduce it, yet the maintainer
18 > doesn't at least put RESTRICT="test" in the ebuild.
19 >
20 > Is it acceptable for another dev to jump in and add RESTRICT="test" to
21 > an ebuild if the maintainer does not respond to a bug report in a
22 > timely manner?
23
24 IMHO yes! of course, the bug has to be left open until the issue is fixed
25 for real.
28 > The concern here may be that it's papering over the real problem, but
29 > the good side is that it'd make running with FEATURES=test much easier.
30
31 which is a good thing, since more tests will be run. RESTRICT="test"
32 should always generate a repoman QA warning IMHO.
35 > By the way, for packages that fail the test suite and refuse to disable
36 > it, I change the env locally so that FEATURES=-test (via
37 > /etc/portage/env).
38
39 how many packages do you have in there? i usually just do it manually, so
40 i dont have easily available stats on how many packages are affected.
43 > Paweł Hajdan jr