From: Tobias Scherbaum <dertobi123@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Council Reminder for June 11
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 22:27:10
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > Oh please no wiki.
3
4 Whatever. My requirements are quite simple: public accessible, no
5 accounts needed on 3rd party systems (like Google) to add feature
6 requests or comments and changes must be traceable. Using bugzilla fits
7 those criteria as well.
8
9 > The problem for EAPI 3 was that feature requests
10 > were on a google spreadsheet, and on bugzilla, and on a pms draft
11 > branch, and on a text file in various people's devspaces.
12
13 Agreed.
14
15 > The workflow that'd be easiest is:
16 >
17 > * Requests go onto bugzilla, where they could be nicely organised into
18 > "can do this now", "probably not doable in the timeframe we're
19 > looking for" and "not detailed enough to be usable".
20
21 * "can do this now" requests are added to a tracker bug for the upcoming
22 EAPI.
23
24 > * We get rough diffs for PMS for everything in the "can do this now"
25 > category, and give them all an arbitrary codename that in no way
26 > describes the feature (so that certain people can't vote and discuss
27 > things based upon what they think the feature is without bothering to
28 > find out if it's anything to do with what they assume).
29 >
30 > * Based upon developer feedback, the Council rates each of those
31 > codenames as "yes", "no", "whatever" or "needs more discussion". For
32 > those that need discussion, the people who voted for discussion
33 > explain what they think needs discussing, and we sort that out.
34 >
35 > * The PMS people come up with exact wording for things that are mostly
36 > "yes".
37 >
38 > * The Council votes for final approval, pending Portage implementation.
39
40 Looks good so far.
41
42 > * Portage implements it in ~arch. People start using it in ~arch.
43
44 I'd propose: Portage implements it in ~arch. People can start using it
45 in overlays.
46
47 > * Portage goes stable. People are allowed to start using it in stable
48 > for things that aren't deps of anything super-critical.
49
50 I'd propose: Portage goes stable. 4 Weeks thereafter people are allowed
51 to start using it for things that aren't deps of anything
52 super-critical.
53
54 > What we don't need is lots of people running around doing their own
55 > thing in different places. What we do need is for a single
56 > waterflow-like workflow with a good way of coordinating it that doesn't
57 > rely upon the PMS team chasing everyone up and trying to keep track of
58 > everything.
59
60 ack.
61