From: Jacob Godserv <jacobgodserv@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Building custom package for multi-arch/system
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:21:37
1 On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 10:13, Max Arnold <lwarxx@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Can someone share his experience of using Catalyst or Metro as generator of binary package
3 > updates for precompiled client machines?  How smooth it is in the long run?
4
5 I use metro (wrote a little HOWTO on it: <
6 http://neuvoo.org/wiki/index.php?title=Create_Image/Building >) and it
7 asks emerge to --buildpkg at every stage. It keeps binaries separate
8 per stage. The end result, as long as you told it not to clean, is
9 three folders with a binary repo in each. It will re-use these
10 binaries in future stage builds, if you don't clean it out.
11
12 If you don't want it building stages, it's very easy to configure
13 metro to do exactly what you want. It still has to be figured out to
14 some extent, but the format is much simpler than catalyst and takes
15 less time to customize properly.
16
17 I'm not sure what "long run" looks like as I have yet to enter the
18 "long run". As far as I can tell, metro will always build and update
19 binary repositories when you ask it to. ;)
22 Jacob
23
24 "For then there will be great distress, unequaled
25 from the beginning of the world until now — and never
26 to be equaled again. If those days had not been cut
27 short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the
28 elect those days will be shortened."
29
30 Are you ready?