From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Some sync control
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 01:40:30
1 Greg KH wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 01:53:12AM +0100, Markus Ullmann wrote:
3 >> I've talked to a friend of mine recently. He's a FreeBSD dev and he said
4 >> they tried git for their ports tree (which is basically the same what
5 >> we're talking about) and it was more or less a big pain for multiple
6 >> reasons.
7 >> He said he'd personally take svn after that experience.
8 >
9 > What was the reasons he cited?
10
11 Given that ports is pretty similar to our gentoo-x86, I'd guess about
12 the same ones mentioned at
13 http://dev.gentoo.org/~antarus/projects/gleps/glep-0666.txt -- I quote
14 from there:
15
16 I think migration for many would be frustrating and detailed guides
17 for doing things in GIT would be the norm for quite some time. GIT
18 also has some other issues:
19
20 1. Git currently requires you to check out the whole repository.
21 This includes *all of the history*.
22
23 2. Git cannot update portions of the repository, it can only update
24 the entire thing.
25
26 3. Due to git's choice of packing format (which does save a lot of
27 space), the operations are quite CPU intensive. Either the GIT
28 server gets overwhelmed by the raw number of clients using it or
29 the slower clients (arm, mips, sparc, hppa...basically anything not
30 x86, ppc, ppc64, amd64) get screwed by the raw amount of CPU and
31 RAM necessary to unpack a checkout from these packs.
32
33 4. git-daemon (and git over ssh) both are very stupid when it comes
34 to generating packs for transfer, since often two or three
35 fetches can be going on but the packs are not shared between
36 fetches. This only makes the already shakey server performance
37 even worse, as the same packs are generated N times instead of
38 once.
39
40 If GIT gets repository slicing (ability to check out and update
41 slices of the repository) as well as history slicing (only take the
42 last six months of history, for example) I think it would be a
43 better canidate. The conversion to GIT from CVS was also lengthy
44 (approximately two weeks) althought many projects attempted a switch
45 this summer and tools have improved in speed.
46
47 Note: Both history and repository slicing are in the works for GIT,
48 but there is no date of completion for them.
51 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list