From: Andreas Sturmlechner <asturm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Refactor display manager openrc init scripts to independent package
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 08:17:20
1 On Samstag, 10. Oktober 2020 20:18:44 CEST Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > >>>>> On Sat, 10 Oct 2020, Aisha Tammy wrote:
3 > > On 10/10/20 8:00 AM, Joonas Niilola wrote:
4 > >>> - xdm init.d is replaced by display-manager init.d script
5 > >>
6 > >> Why this rename? I can't find a reason for that.
7 > >
8 > > The name change was to make it clear that its separate from xorg-server
9 > > as it no longer has any ties to xdm.
10 > > display-manager can be run without having xdm on your system.
11 >
12 > Still sounds like a rename for the sake of renaming. /etc/init.d/xdm
13 > is already now a generic init script and not tied to any specific
14 > display manager.
15
16 Being named 'xdm' without relating to x11-apps/xdm is already a source of
17 confusion, even on this mailing list.
18
19 Since X11 may not be involved at all in current and future display-manager it
20 would better move away from this false implication.
21
22 > Since this will affect users' systems (and maybe require manual
23 > intervention), I think you'll need a better reason for renaming.
24
25 I'm sure there is a way for the display-manager ebuild to migrate from old xdm
26 configs on users' systems. How much do config and init scripts differ at all?
29 ...that said, I'm wondering if there is a way to implement juippis' proposal
30 of per-DM scripts while avoiding duplication at the same time, since
31 inevitably they will all do the same thing to a large extent.