From: Sven Wegener <swegener@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] *DEPEND mismatches
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 12:09:46
1 On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 06:19:01PM -0700, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 02:00:24AM +0200, Sven Wegener wrote:
3 > [snip]
4 > Could you possibly split the stuff into two files?
5 > one for RDEPEND.only and one for DEPEND.only?
6
7 http://dev.gentoo.org/~swegener/qa/depend-mismatches-DEPEND
8 http://dev.gentoo.org/~swegener/qa/depend-mismatches-RDEPEND
9
10 > I see a lot more FP for RDEPEND.only.
11 >
12 > Many of the RDEPEND.only are correct, as the packages are just scripts
13 > that call other binaries to do their work. On the flipside, there are a
14 > lot of packages that only need something to build properly (eg
15 > sys-cluster/torque needs sys-apps/ed, and dev-libs/openssl has a build
16 > system that needs perl).
17
18 Yeah, plugins are often RDEPEND-only and binary packages have an empty
19 DEPEND. Those are special packages. I could whitelist *-plugins/* for
20 RDEPEND that would remove them from the list. I see about 30 packages
21 in the list that use them, maybe a good thing to whitelist for RDEPEND.
22 I added sys-apps/ed for sys-cluster/torque and dev-lang/perl for
23 dev-libs/openssl to the whitelist.
24
25 > I suspect that you'd end up with a massive whitelist if we tried to
26 > catch everything.
27
28 The whitelist is already quite large. I don't want to catch everything
29 that should be whitelisted. FPs that affect a lot of packages and can
30 easy be whitelisted either general or by the means of eclass usage are
31 good.
32
33 > For the moment however, I can offer some general items:
34 > anything inheriting php-ext*eclass is correct with DEPEND of dev-php/php but
35 > and RDEPEND of virtual/php.
36
37 Added.
38