From: "Harald van Dijk" <truedfx@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] DEPEND/RDEPEND question
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 07:15:02
1 On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 09:53:58AM +0300, Alin Nastac wrote:
2 > Lets say a package foo depends on bar, both at compile time and run time.
3 > Shouldn't DEPEND _and_ RDEPEND of the foo package reflect that
4 > dependency? I usually set DEPEND="$RDEPEND ..." or vice-versa (depending
5 > on which is the most demanding). Am I utterly wrong here?
6
7 Unless there's been a change I'm not aware of, that's right. You should
8 often use something similar to
9 COMMON="..."
10 DEPEND="$COMMON ..."
11 RDEPEND="$COMMON ..."
12 when not exactly all of $DEPEND is part of RDEPEND or vice versa though.
13
14 > I know that when a package is installed the usual way (not from a binary
15 > tarball) dependencies==RDEPEND+DEPEND, but portage functionality could
16 > change in the future. It may not be the wisest decision ever made, but
17 > portage could very well remove whatever dependencies are found in DEPEND
18 > - RDEPEND, once the package is installed.
19
20 You already mentioned binary packages. In addition to that, I think bad
21 dependencies can break things even under current portage versions by
22 building with ROOT set.
23
24 Something worth noting is that if RDEPEND is unset, it defaults to
25 $DEPEND, so in some cases, DEPEND="..." can be enough even if there are
26 also runtime dependencies. However, if RDEPEND is set at all, it should
27 be complete (except that system packages of course can be omitted).
28 --
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list