From: Jerry A! <jerry@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Tom
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 11:45:54
On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 12:37:07PM -0600, Gabriel wrote:
: On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Jerry A! wrote:
: > Actually, base system isn't only FSF.  The default tarball used
: > BerkeleyDB, OpenSSH, Perl (which while is GPL'd, isn't owned by the
: > FSF), etc...
:
: I meant "the mythical not yet provided base system", which I suppose would
: make it not Gentoo.  I have a dream of bootstrapping to a minimal system, and
: having an ebuild for every package at ftp.gnu.org.  I wonder what RMS would
: do once he actually had what he asked for.

What would you do without SSH?  There isn't a working GPL version.
Likewise, the only GPL'd MTA is exim.  I happen to love it, but most
people usually look at Postfix or qmail as alternatives to sendmail.

All I'm saying is don't limit yourself by sharing RMS's jingoistic
tunnel-vision.

The true strength of Gentoo is that it's best-of-breed and not limit of
scope.

        --Jerry

name:  Jerry Alexandratos         ||  Open-Source software isn't a
phone: 703.599.6023               ||  matter of life or death...
email: jerry@××××××.com           ||  ...It's much more important