From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: default mta
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 13:48:44
1 Eray Aslan posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 09:46:17 +0000 as excerpted:
2
3 > The current default mta in gentoo - ssmtp - has a more or less dead
4 > upstream and has some outstanding bugs. It is prudent to change our
5 > default mta.
6 >
7 > Both mail-mta/nullmailer and mail-mta/msmtp are lightweight good mtas.
8 > Both packages have active development and provide AUTH and SSL/TLS
9 > support.
10
11 I've wondered about this for some time, and now seems as good a time/
12 place to ask as any.
13
14 Is there any "system-mailer" app that doesn't actually mail anything
15 anywhere, nor run constantly as a daemon, that is simply invokable as
16 sendmail when needed, to take a message, format it appropriately, and
17 drop it in some local dir (preferably configurably as maildir, mh-format,
18 mbox, etc) where a mail client can read it as a local account? No need
19 to run constantly or to have actual network connectivity of any sort,
20 just to be invokable when needed.
21
22 I ended up creating a script that handles it here, but it'd be great if I
23 could find a proper package that handled that, presumably with a few more
24 features than the hacked up script I came up with.
25
26 Seems to me if there is such a thing, that'd be a great option to be
27 recommended in the handbook, for those who don't want to send the mail
28 off to the ISP/MSP (to be examined by crackers, three-letter agencies, or
29 simply rogue admins at the ISP/MSP), just to pick it up with their mail
30 client running on the same machine that sent it in the first place!
35 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman