From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: best way to introduce USE=prefix
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2009 19:42:14
1 On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 21:36:40 +0200
2 Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
3 > On 04-04-2009 12:24:32 -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
4 > > > Sure it's not a user land like GNU or BSD but I can't see why we
5 > > > couldn't change what USERLAND means.
6 > >
7 > > But why change the meaning if it's confusing an unnecessary?
8 > > Perhaps it's more appropriate to set IUSE_IMPLICIT="prefix".
9 >
10 > This sounds like a good thing to make it explicit prefix is an
11 > implicit USE-flag.
12 >
13 > However, I would still prefer to see prefix being masked in base, and
14 > then unmasked and forced in the prefix profiles. Does that make any
15 > sense?
16
17 The two aren't mutually contradictory. Quite the contrary.
18
19 For EAPI 3, we're aiming to make it illegal to do anything with a flag
20 unless it's either explicitly listed in IUSE or handled via a number of
21 special magic profile variables, so you'd either have to list it
22 everywhere or use one of the profile variables. Once you do that, how
23 you mask / force it is up to you, unless you need some kind of special
24 package manager handling for that flag.
27 Ciaran McCreesh