From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] dev-libs/libusbx:1 the default provider for virtual/libusb:1 (for ~arch)
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 21:42:24
1 Hi Mike, list,
2
3 Mike Frysinger wrote:
4 > > Fedora rawhide and ArchLinux switched to libusbx and followed
5 > > suit in our virtual/libusb:1.
6 >
7 > sad that we can't get these things merged. maybe we need to
8 > convince dsd to hand over the reigns ?
9
10 It seems that some don't know that dsd made me co-maintainer in
11 libusb some months after he created the 1.0.8 release.
12
13 I've been working hard on libusb since before 1.0.8. I joined libusb
14 in 2004 and was already asked by Johannes (the 0.1 author) to be
15 maintainer in 2007, but declined.
16
17 The fork is a long story. I commented in the Arch ticket for their
18 switch, and the libusbx lead maintainer replied there today. I also
19 had a chat with Samuli and marienz@g.o on IRC about keeping libusb
20 as the default provider for virtual/libusb:1.
21
22 I'm working on a blog post with what I think are some key facts for
23 everyone with an interest in the libusb API. The fork is, like the
24 libusb-1.0.9 release, a month old, and of course there was a sudden
25 surge in activity when Hans (Fedora libusb package maintainer and
26 now libusbx maintainer) blogged about the fork, which I wasn't quite
27 prepared for. Hold on, more information coming shortly.
30 Thanks
31
32 //Peter