From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: EAPI 1 (Was: Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for April)
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 09:57:38
1 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> posted
2 200704132301.41614.vapier@g.o, excerpted below, on Fri, 13 Apr
3 2007 23:01:40 -0400:
4
5 > they realize they have no way at all of disabling the mandatory test ...
6 > RESTRICT is an ebuild variable, not a package manager variable
7
8 > this is why implementing it via the profile FEATURES works ... users can
9 > still easily opt out and in case of some catastrofuck and we havent
10 > screwed ourselves into a corner by mixing policy with spec
11
12 Why not keep the feature but simply default it to ON instead of OFF?
13 That's what I had assumed all along, and in fact seems to have been what
14 was proposed since in several places the argument was that devs would be
15 testing it anyway, thus implying the option remains NOT to test it.
16
17 As I've said a couple times now, however, adding FEATURES=bigtest would
18 IMO be useful, then let the ebuild use that for extra resource intensive
19 tests or the like. Default would be FEATURES="test -bigtest", thus
20 advancing the default QA for everyone, while continuing to allow users to
21 opt-in/out entirely if desired.
22
23 As for non-maintainer archs, the maintainer would test it on his arch,
24 and arch-teams would test it on theirs before keywording stable. Those
25 (like myself) running ~arch on non-maintainer archs should be prepared to
26 live with the consequences of that choice anyway, including the
27 occasional test failure on their arch because the maintainer didn't test
28 it there and the arch-team hasn't gotten to it yet.
33 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list