From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge search
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 14:42:28
1 On Saturday 25 May 2002 16:34, david mattatall wrote:
2 > On May 24, 2002 02:34 pm, Sean P. Kane wrote:
3 > > emerge search seems to only search the name of the ebuild. Is there
4 > > currently any way to also search the description? And if not is there
5 > > any reason not to implement this? Doing something like 'emerge search
6 > > irc' does not return BitchX as an example. And something like icc
7 > > 'Intel's cc compiler' might be hard to search for since you may
8 > > not know the Gentoo agreed upon name of icc and simply search for intel.
9 >
10 > hrmm, don't take any offence to this but bitchx is in /usr/portage/net-irc.
11 > and what if some one does a description search for "a"?
12
13 grep doesn't disallow you to do a:
14 grep -r "a" /*
15
16 does it?
17
18 If people want to be stupid, let them. I think an added option of this nature
19 can be useful. I do think though a separate search command is more
20 appropriate though.
21
22 Paul
25 Paul de Vrieze