From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: removal of digest files from the tree
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 01:44:23
1 On Sat, 2008-01-26 at 17:08 -0800, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > If there are no objections then I don't so any reason not to go ahead and add
3 > the manifest1_obsolete sometime in the near future. Thoughts?
4
5 1. Add blocking of commit of files/digest-* in CVS pre-commit hook
6 2. Add manifest1_obsolete to tree
7 3. Remove all files/digest-* files from tree (on CVS server side)
8 4. Remove all files dirs that are empty (on CVS server side)
9
10 This should be all that we need. The 2007.1 snapshot was done without
11 any digest files, and it worked just fine, also the default settings
12 have been to not sync the digest files for some time, so only people
13 with an older/unsupported portage have been getting digest files, at
14 all.
15
16 I do have one question, though. What does an older portage version do
17 when it hits a package with a missing digest file?
18
19 Let's say I've got portage prior to 2007.0's, so it doesn't support
20 Manifest2 only. I want to "emerge --oneshot portage" to get to the
21 latest version. What do I need a digest on? Just portage? portage and
22 its dependencies? Which dependencies? All of them, or just the ones
23 I'll actually need to merge?
24
25 I guess what I'm asking is if it is possible to have repoman create a
26 digest for sys-apps/portage only, for the slow upgraders. Of course,
27 this assumes its even possible on the portage side to bother. If not,
28 just ignore this part.
31 Chris Gianelloni
32 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
33 Games Developer