From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Pre-GLEP: Security Project
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 21:06:02
1 On Monday, March 13, 2017 4:33:54 PM EDT Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 3:28 PM, Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Looks like we are disagreeing about the role of a project lead.
4 > >
5 > > The primary goal of any Gentoo project is to group people working
6 > > towards the same goal(s) in small, manageable groups. It shouldn't need
7 > > a lead in most cases to control the project members.
8 > >
9 > > A lead is only needed if the team can't get a decision.
10 >
11 > That isn't the only reason a team might need a lead. A lead might
12 > also be necessary if the larger distro doesn't trust the members of
13 > the team to make their own decisions.
14
15 There is also the idea that Team Leads work with other Team Leads to resolve conflicts and/
16 or for integration. Technical conflicts, but could be other. Rather than individual team
17 members hashing it out with each other voicing individual opinions rather than the
18 collective opinion of the team funneled through the leader. Intended more for organization
19 than control.
20
21 Like when I interact with a client, usually easiest to have a single point of contact. Rather
22 than have every employee interacting with me directly. Essentially the contact becomes the
23 client "lead".
24
25 In a Utopian world all Team Leads may meet with the council as part of a bigger picture.
26 Everything coming together as one. Part of the idea behind the GLEP I suggested about
27 reporting.
30 William L. Thomson Jr.