From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: deprecate /usr/share/doc/$PF
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 08:24:41
> I am forced to agree with your points #1 and #2.
Good. :-)
> $CATEGORY/$PN-$SLOT is optimized for the "bookmark a document and go > back to it a week later" use case, but you are correct that it would > work poorly for the "quickly look up a doc that you had not cared > about until now" use case.
> Using /usr/share/doc/$PN-$SLOT with exceptions for packages that > have the same ($PN, $SLOT) but different categories would not scale: > it turns out there are >100 of them in the main tree.
Probably most of them in app-emacs and app-xemacs.
> Using /usr/share/doc/$P would be worse than the current situation: > doc locations would still shift on minor version bumps, and packages > with multiple slots in the same $P (e.g. webkit-gtk) would collide.
> And using $CATEGORY after $PN is simply too ugly to contemplate.
I agree.
> Fortunately, there *is* a neat solution.
> Symlinks.
> In other words: no change to dodoc/newdoc/dohtml, they will continue > to install documentation in /usr/share/doc/$PF like they do today.
> BUT the package manager will automatically create a symlink > from /usr/share/doc/$CATEGORY/$PN (for slot 0) or > from /usr/share/doc/$CATEGORY/$PN-$SLOT (for slot != 0) > to /usr/share/doc/$PF. This would have to be done after the end of > src_install() so that the symlink goes in the VDB.
Maybe the symlinks should live in a different directory? Otherwise it could be confusing for packages like gnustep-base or net-dns whose name is equal to a category name. Also I think that the slot should better be separated by a character that cannot occur in a package name, i.e. something other than hyphen (-), plus sign (+), or underscore (_). What was the problem with the colon (:) again?
> I think that this change, similarly to the automatic .la file > fixing, could be implemented by portage without waiting for a new > EAPI.
Not sure about this one. It's not Portage only, but affects all package managers. Ulrich