From: Dave Nellans <dnellans@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] ebuild naming policy
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 23:09:52
do we have an established naming policy for ebuilds, and where can i
find it?

my gripe is that when i submitted the ebuild for a program named "balsa"
(under app-sci/tbass) several devs told me i could not name it balsa
because the gnome email client balsa already uses that name.  i believed
that is why apps were listed under app-sci, dev-db, etc... which is why
this structure existed in the first place.  i was told however this was
not so and that this wasn't allowed.  in the end the ebuild was called
tbass which is very non-intuitive having a ebuild named something very
dissimilar to its common name.

all was fine untill i went to install ocaml and did emerge -s ocaml only
to find there are TWO packages named ocaml that co-exist seemingly
happily in different categories.  this brings back my original question
of if we have a specific naming policy or if some of the dev's are
mistaken about things.

if we don't have a naming policy yet, should we?  it seems as if naming
issues are becoming more significant now that the number of packages in
portage continues to grow.

any thoughts?
dave