From: Gerion Entrup <gerion.entrup@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Idea: User centric kernel configuration
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 16:12:00
1 Hi,
2
3 the Linux kernel has _a lot of_ configuration options, way too many to configure them by hand.
4 Many of these configuration options seem to be kernel centric (they deactivate a specific compilation unit, they deactivate specific source code parts).
5 However, my main configuration requirements as a user are mostly user space program or feature centric. I want to activate kernel support for a specific feature, e.g. docker support or cryptsetup support.
6
7 This requires a mapping between user oriented "features" and the kernel internal configuration options. This mapping exists already at the Gentoo wiki [e.g. 1, 2, 3].
8 Gentoo also provides (via gentoo-sources) a set of patches that adds some meta configuration options to enable some of exactly that user specific features (Systemd, OpenRC and Portage support).
9
10 Do you think that it is useful and feasible to combine these two mechanisms?
11 A possible way could be to automatically extract the kernel config flags from the wiki pages and map them to Kconfig options.
12
13 Best regards,
14 Gerion
15