From: Alexander Tsoy <alexander@××××.me>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [rfc] enable USE=xattr by default
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 11:09:43
1 On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 18:56:28 +0800
2 Jason Zaman <perfinion@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 10:57:45AM +0200, Tobias Klausmann wrote:
5 > > Hi!
6 > >
7 > > On Wed, 14 Oct 2015, Mike Frysinger wrote:
8 > > > anyone opposed to flipping this flag on by default ?
9 > > >
10 > > > reference:
11 > > > https://bugs.gentoo.org/506198
12 > > > https://bugs.gentoo.org/556408
13 > >
14 > > No objection, but a bit of a datapoint. I use btrfs on one of my
15 > > machines, and that filesystem (apparently) does not support
16 > > XATTR_PAX markings. So on every update I get some packages with
17 > > message like these:
18 >
19 > I used to run hardened on btrfs and it worked fine. pax xattrs are in
20 > the user namespace (user.pax.flags) which isnt protected (unlike eg.
21 > security.*). I dont remember doing anything special to enable xattrs
22 > on btrfs, most of the newer FSs have them enabled by default.
23 >
24 > Can you try this:
25 >
26 > # getfattr -d -m- /bin/ping
27
28 I think he should check xattr support in PORTAGE_TMPDIR in the first
29 place. :) I suspect something like tmpfs mounted on it
30 (and CONFIG_TMPFS_XATTR=n in the kernel config).
33 Alexander Tsoy