From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Tone in Gentoo
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 21:11:34
1 On 19 June 2010 19:59, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 12:54:25 +0200
3 > Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
4 >> This is a point that deserves more consideration. One of the top
5 >> reasons (as witnessed in forum discussions)
6 >
7 > Unfortunately, that's selecting a rather biased audience. The success
8 > of a forum depends upon the number of active posters it has. The number
9 > of active posters it has depends upon how many people need to post
10 > there to get answers to questions, and how many wrong answers have to
11 > be given before the right answer comes up. Thus, by selecting from the
12 > forums, you're picking an audience that likes talking endlessly about
13 > communities, not one that likes to answer a question once, correctly,
14 > and then change things so the question doesn't need to be answered
15 > again.
16
17 That is an incredibly shortsighted and cynic look at the community.
18 Keep it off this list.
19
20 >> Does Gentoo really prefer to keep more sensitive people out instead
21 >> of effectively getting rid of repeat offenders?
22 >
23 > All bringing more sensitive people in does is cripples the
24 > distribution's ability to delivery any technical improvements, since
25 > everyone's time is wasted worrying about the whiners
26
27 Not at all. Instead of wasting time on flamewars, and people getting
28 upset and leaving because of the attacks, we'd have a bunch of people
29 who would know how to work together in a friendly way. That speeds up
30 the process to come to technical improvements. Once again: keep your
31 cynic, twisted look off this list. We have no use for it.
32
33 >> Think about it. What kind of people would you rather have in Gentoo?
34 >
35 > Personally, I'd like to see Gentoo start having the kinds of people who
36 > deliver a better product, not the kinds of people who worry that using
37 > a gender-ambiguous cow as a logo might be offensive.
38
39 Once again you are derailing the conversation. Nobody brought up
40 anything about a logo.
41
42 It is about whether Gentoo wants to keep around people like you, who
43 continually attack others, or whether it prefers to have people who
44 want to work together in a friendlier atmosphere. A smoother
45 cooperation is in the interest of technical improvements too.
46
47 There already is a distro that works like you envision it. It's called
48 Exherbo. You should try it, you might like it. I would suggest you
49 spend your time and energy on that, and leave Gentoo to do things the
50 friendlier way.
51
52 Cheers,
53 Ben