From: Boris Fersing <kernelsensei@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ruby gems vs. ebuilds
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 20:25:37
1 2006/10/5, Roy Wright <royw@×××××.com>:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > Can someone point me to any documentation on why ebuilds are
5 > being created for ruby gems?
6 >
7 > Gem is the a nice, easy to use, standard package manager for ruby.
8 >
9 > The problem that I see is if you install the same package via both
10 > gem and portage all sorts of bad things happen. For the curious,
11 > use gem to install rake, then portage to install rake, then try to
12 > use rake... Hint, emerge --unmerge is your friend.
13 >
14 > The real problem is when you now install a package that has
15 > ruby dependencies (example kazehakase-0.4.1). Real easy to
16 > to have portage trash your previous gem install.
17 >
18 > Wouldn't make more sense to have the ebuilds front-end gem vs.
19 > doing a config & make & make instlal? Then if you had installed
20 > via gem, then portage, the gem would just be re-installed, not
21 > installed differently.
22
23 Hi,
24
25 AFAIK, the ruby related ebuilds use gem. For example rails has in his ebuild :
26
27 "inherit ruby gems"
28
29 and if you look in the gems eclass :
30
31 <code>
32 gems_src_install() {
33 gems_location
34
35 if [ -z "${MY_P}" ]; then
36 GEM_SRC=${DISTDIR}/${P}
37 else
38 GEM_SRC=${DISTDIR}/${MY_P}
39 fi
40
41 if use doc; then
42 myconf="--rdoc"
43 else
44 myconf="--no-rdoc"
45 fi
46
47 dodir ${GEMSDIR}
48 gem install ${GEM_SRC} -v ${PV} ${myconf} -l -i ${D}/${GEMSDIR} ||
49 die "gem install failed"
50
51 if [ -d ${D}/${GEMSDIR}/bin ] ; then
52 exeinto /usr/bin
53 for exe in ${D}/${GEMSDIR}/bin/* ; do
54 doexe ${exe}
55 done
56 fi
57 }
58 </code>
59
60 And it's the same for rake !
61
62 The problem might be (that's a supposition only) that gem installs the
63 files in the image which will be merged to the system by portage and
64 doesn't install the files directly in the "real" system.
65
66 or maybe did I miss something ?
67
68 Regards,
69
70 Boris.
71 >
72 > TIA,
73 > Roy
74 >
75 > --
76 >
77 > echo "spzxAdjtdp/dpn" | perl -pe 's/(.)/chr(ord($1)-1)/ge'
78 > --
79 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
85 Quiconque me parle de Dieu en veut à ma bourse ou à ma liberté.
88 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list