From: Georgy Yakovlev <gyakovlev@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Un-slotting LLVM
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2021 22:37:17
1 On 08.11.2021 12:18, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > A few years back I've slotted LLVM and Clang to make the life with
5 > revdeps easier. Long story short, every major LLVM release (which
6 > happens twice a year) breaks API and it takes some time for revdeps to
7 > adjust. Slotting made it possible to install multiple versions
8 > simultaneously, and therefore let "faster" packages use newer LLVM
9 > without being blocked by "slower" packages on the user's system.
10 >
11 > Unfortunately, this ended up pretty bothersome to maintain. Besides
12 > making ebuilds quite complex (and prone to mistakes), I'm hearing more
13 > and more reports of programs being broken through getting multiple LLVM
14 > versions in the link chain.
15 >
16 > This is not something that can be easily solved. In other words, it's
17 > a mess and I don't think we're really getting anywhere. For this
18 > reason, I'm considering dropping slotting and going back to permitting
19 > only a single version of LLVM and Clang being installed.
20 >
21 > This would have two major implications:
22 >
23 > 1. If you installed any package that requires older LLVM, it'd block all
24 > other packages from updating. If you hit two packages that do not have
25 > a common supported LLVM version, you won't be able to install them
26 > at all.
27 >
28 > On the plus side, this will motivate developers to actually start fixing
29 > these packages rather than letting them rot until I start removing old
30 > LLVM versions.
31 >
32 > 2. We will no longer support having multiple clang versions installed.
33 > While it was convenient for testing stuff, it's not really a killer
34 > feature though.
35 >
36 > The only real alternative I see is actively limiting supported LLVM
37 > versions in packages to ensure that all libraries in the depgraph end up
38 > using the same LLVM version. However, I don't think it's really worth
39 > the effort.
40 >
41 > I don't have a ready unslotting plan yet.
42 >
43 > WDYT?
44 >
45 > --
46 > Best regards,
47 > Michał Górny
51 This can block rust and consumers quite badly.
52 Currently in rust source ebuild we lock llvm version for system llvm to
53 exact one bundled by upstream, for example
54
55 1.55 - llvm12 (with/without system-llvm set)
56 1.56 - llvm13 (with/without system-llvm set)
57
58 that's effective with both system-llvm set or unset, and for rust-bin.
59 in theory I can unlock rust version and provide compatibility with
60 multiple, but we run into next problem:
61
62 rust-1.56 can come with llvm12 and llvm13, but only llvm13 if -system-llvm
63 rust-bin only can use llvm13 (internal one, pre-compiled by upstream)
64
65 this will break firefox and spidermonkey and thunderbird on some
66 systems.
67 mozilla products need to be compiled and linked with the same llvm
68 version in all components.
69
70 compiling/linking firefox with llvm13/clang13, but rust-1.55 will
71 not be possible, because of mis-matched llvm versions. or it may work
72 but break at runtime.
73
74 and if we have multiple llvm possible in firefox it will not be able to
75 enforce dependency chain via portage.
76
77 well, we could introduce llvm-ver useflags for rust, and clang, so
78 firefox can require rust[llvm13(-)] clang[llvm13(-)] with a lot of
79 required-use boilerplate, but that's _very_ ugly.
82 Best regards,
83 Georgy