From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev and /usr
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 08:26:22
1 On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 1:15 AM, Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 09/18/2011 13:26, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
5 >> I don't see how this is relevant to the problem of udev and /usr at
6 >> all. Unless you want to go back to the days of devfs and lots of
7 >> manual configuration. :)
10 > Me either (somewhat).  But I do see is this: If udev is going to make it a
11 > requirement that one or more paritions be available at udevd start time,
12 > then maybe going back to devfs might not be such a bad idea after all.
13 >
14 > I use plain vanilla setups on almost any Linux box I build.  For x86, LILO
15 > (yes, that thing), a simple kernel, most hardware built in, some extraneous
16 > stuff built as modules.  sysvinit for the init package, /{usr,home,var,tmp}
17 > on separate partitions, no X11, no gnome, no KDE, no Xfce, no fluxbox, no
18 > IRIS Indigo, no aewm++, no CDE, no DBUS, no audio support (the machine
19 > doesn't even have an audio card), headless (except with it messes up, which
20 > is very rare), etc.  I.e., I run my box like a server.
21 >
22 > My MIPS systems (the working ones, anyways) are even more vanilla.  I
23 > netboot each of them off my x86 box versus using a bootloader, they have
24 > what amounts to a minimal Gentoo install, system + plus other utilities,
25 > definitely no X11, etc.
26 >
27 > These setups are pretty much plain vanilla Linux/UNIX setups, and it's what
28 > has worked for years, so I don't see a need to change it with a permanence.
29 >  If other distros want to create alternatives, that is fine.  But *I* should
30 > retain the choice to use or not to use those alternatives.  That means, udev
31 > needs to be configurable enough to allow me to make it _not_ require /usr
32 > being available.  Let the default be the other way -- that's fine.
33 >
34 > But if udev upstream is taking *away* choice, and making /usr mandatory
35 > (especially if it's because some other distro has this offbeat, utopian,
36 > überDesktop concept), then that's a bug and someone needs to write a patch
37 > and send it upstream.
38
39 I think the list you want is
40 linux-hotplug-devel@×××××××××××××××××.net; the gentoo-dev list is not
41 for udev development. If 'someone' needs to write a patch then I
42 assume you will volunteer?
45 > --
46 > Joshua Kinard
47 > Gentoo/MIPS
48 > kumba@g.o
49 > 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
50 >
51 > "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us.  And
52 > our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
53 >
54 > --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic