From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: udev-ng? (Was: Summary Council meeting Tuesday 13 November 2012)
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 15:42:44
1 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn posted on Sun, 18 Nov 2012 12:14:48 +0100 as
2 excerpted:
3
4 > Matt Turner schrieb:
5 >>> Then udev switched to kmod as a build-time dep. I could no longer
6 >>> package.provide kmod as I had module-init-tools, because it was
7 >>> required to /build/ udev. For no valid reason on my system. Like any
8 >>> unnecessary feature that can be used to load an exploit, it's worse
9 >>> than useless.
10 >
11 >> # du -sh /var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/kmod-11-r1/image/
12 >> 240K /var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/kmod-11-r1/image/
13 >
14 > I think the complaint was not about the installed size. Some people have
15 > "install as little unnecessary code as possible" as part of their
16 > security concepts.
17
18 That's true, but as a long-term gentooer, I've found over the years it's
19 more than that. Every single installed package is another package that
20 must be repeatedly rebuilt, as upgrades come in and/or as the system core
21 toolchain changes over time and one wants to be sure the whole system is
22 consistent and still buildable (emerge --emptytree @world). Every
23 installed package I don't use is thus an installed package I'll spend a
24 lot of otherwise unnecessary time on, over the years, simply keeping it
25 and the system in general upto date.
26
27 As one realizes the cost over time, one gets a rather higher motivation
28 to keep the system as lean and mean as possible. I look at it this way,
29 it's just that much more incentive to practice what has always been known
30 as good security practice in any case, keeping everything off the system
31 that doesn't have a solid, known reason, for being there.
32
33 kmod itself is trivial in size time and space requirements, but it's the
34 principle as much as anything, and in the case of an unneeded module
35 loader there's an additional security concern as well, since an
36 opportunity to load kernel modules is just that much more opportunity to
37 install a kernel module that hides otherwise visible tell-tail (logs,
38 strange open ports on netstat, strange startup services, etc) signs of
39 being rooted. Sure, if someone has module-loading access already, it's
40 not a big increased risk, but given that it's an unnecessary, any non-
41 negative non-zero increase in risk or maintenance cost over time is
42 unacceptable, and on a monolithic kernel gentoo system, a kernel module
43 loader increases both, trivially sure, but when there's no justifiable
44 reason for it in the first place...
49 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman