From: Stefan Schweizer <genstef@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC Maintainer-Wanted Bugs/Cleaning]
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 07:27:57
1 Alec Warner wrote:
2 > So we created this awesome alias to put ebuilds that need a maintainer.
3 > Good idea at the time, decent idea still. The problem? We have nearly
4 > 2000 open bugs assigned to maintainer-wanted[1]. I would like to
5 > discuss policy on these. Do we keep them, do we get a group of people
6 > to slowly review and discard them? Do we mind having a ton of things
7 > open like this (a quasi-ebuild db of sorts). Is bugs the right place
8 > for this sort of thing, or can we improve somewhere/how?
9
10 Discarding them seems not like a good idea to me. I think they are
11 interesting for many users who want to use the software that lacks an
12 ebuild. Also some contributors have invested a lot of time in it.
13
14 I think those should all be available within an overlay: overlays.gentoo.org
15
16 There they are downloadable, improveable and we do not turn contributors
17 away by "WONTFIX". Additionally we will not get many dupes once we close an
18 ebuild contribution. People who file ebuild requests have not contributed
19 anything, so I think those can easily be marked as WONTFIX :)
20
21 Probably it makes sense to have such an overlay on gentooexperimental.org
22 for the time being. So that we can start reducing the 2000 bugs in bugzilla
23
24 Regards,
25 Stefan
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list