From: "Tod M. Neidt" <tneidt@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo 1.0_rc6_r12 impressions from gentoo newbie (long)
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2001 23:55:31
1 Hi!
2
3 > 6. When I did 'emerge system' I noticed that latest Linux kernel was being
4 > downloaded somewhere. So I was pretty puzzled when the docs asked me to
5 > emerge it explicitely. Indeed, there was nothing in /usr/src until I did
6 > emerge the Linux kernel explicitely. I wonder why? Just curious.
7
8 'emerge system' downloads the linux sources because glibc depends on
9 linux-headers. The linux headers are installed in /usr/include/linux
12 > 8. Emerging vim installed XFree86 4.1.0?!!! Holy cow, man! I just wanted an
13 > editor. I absolutely HATE e3. I wish there was some kind of real vi clone.
14 > I know e3 was chosen for its size, but still, I could not do any real editing
15 > with it. I couldn't even find how to do search and replace in vi mode.
16 >
17 > Anyway, I was going to install XFree86 4.1.0 anyway, so it wasn't that big of
18 > a deal. But I think something needs to be done about being able to use vim
19 > in console mode without X.
20
21 You would need to modify your USE variable in /etc/make.conf and remove X, gnome
22 and gtk. See the depends section of the vim ebuild.
23
24 tod
25
27 This message was sent using Fidelity Networks, Inc Mailman Professional.
28 http://www.fidnet.com/