From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gtk3 useflag and support of older toolkits
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 13:45:31
1 On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 15:33:47 +0200
2 Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o> wrote:
3 > Well the problem is simple, we need to ship webkit with gtk2 and gtk3
4 > support. This is needed because gentoo has gtk2 based desktop/apps and
5 > because we want to ship gnome3 for example.
6 >
7 > Cool thing is that webkit supports being built with each toolkit
8 > without conflicting with the build from the other toolkit hence we
9 > ended up using SLOTS.
10
11 You could just have gtk2 and gtk3 use flags in the ebuild, use
12 REQUIRED_USE to ensure that at least one is enabled, and build things
13 twice in the ebuild if necessary.
14
15 Yes, your ebuild will probably be fairly ugly. This won't be visible to
16 users, though.
17
18 Users will have to rebuild a version unnecessarily if they want to go
19 from having just gtk2 to gtk2 and gtk3 (or so on). That should be rare
20 enough, compared to frequency of bumps etc, that it's not a severe
21 enough problem to warrant a hack until a nice alternative is available.
22
23 > Shall we add that subject to next council meeting or do we just wait
24 > for QA's opinion here ?
25
26 I'd like to know why using USE flags until a nicer solution is available
27 is sufficiently terrible that it warrants a hackaround.
30 Ciaran McCreesh