From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] ATTENTION! Broken builds ahead
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 01:17:36
1 Okay,
2 I spoke up a while ago about this, and came with correct and
3 suggested syntax for theese problems, but there seems to be a LOT of
4 cruft in the tree anyhow.
7 I did some grep for "gtk2" IUSE statements, and went through them all.
8 I'm sad to say that the majority of all ebuilds i found have severe
9 logic flaws.
10
11 Thats correct, Most of the builds -DONT- work either as they should nor
12 as intended.
15 Here is a list of broken ebuilds ( i tried to just get the latest
16 version ) , comments on -why- they are broken, and how it should be
17 done.
18
19 I dont have explicit knowledge about all theese builds, so some may be
20 special cases, but far from all are.
23 ATTN DEVS!
24 I want you all who are -responsible- for theese to go through and fix
25 this. ASAP.
28 I could just as well have gone through all theese myself and checked
29 in the changes, but noone would learn what they were doing right by me
30 just fixing things for them. Thats why I want the various maintainers
31 to have looks at it and fix. This way I hope I will Never have to face
32 this problem again.
35 If I find more builds with the same logic flaws in the future, I will
36 hard mask said builds and bug the maintainers in private, but this is a
37 wide sweep and I grabbed all of those that were on my list, checked and
38 signed up here.
39
40 If you feel overwhelmed by the stuff you have, I'm sure there are bored
41 people around who want a go at cleaning things out, Just say so and it
42 will be fixed, we're a community after all.
45 But, I feel like a grumpy old man now after wading through errors and
46 bugs (and bugzilla was too slow for me to even be usable, or you would
47 have had bugs a plenty there too. Hah, saved you were ;) so do take the
48 time to check the list, see what mistakes others have made,
49 And Dont Repeat Them.
52 Regards,
53 Spider
59 begin .signature
60 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
62 end

broken.ebuilds.txt application/octet-stream