From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] glibc-2.17: nscd is optional
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 17:57:36
1 On Sunday 30 December 2012 03:46:01 Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3 > > rough poll: how many people actually care about nscd ? i'm making it
4 > > into a USE flag for glibc-2.17 and it's easiest for me to do IUSE=nscd
5 > > which means it'd default to off.
6 >
7 > To be fair, in my large enterprise deployment we have turned nscd off
8 > for years. However my guess is that this is cargo cult from 2002-esque
9 > bugs in nscd; I'm curious why we would turn it off by default?
10
11 because i suspect it's dead weight for most people, especially desktop users.
12 for people doing server deployments, i also expect those who know about nscd
13 in the first place and actually want it can handle enabling it manually.
14 -mike