From: Florian Schmaus <flow@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unmask >=net-p2p/bitcoin*-0.21.1
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 17:52:00
1 On 25/01/2022 07.49, Joonas Niilola wrote:
2 > On 24.1.2022 20.37, Florian Schmaus wrote:
3
4 Hi Joonas,
5
6 >> I think it is time to unmask the currently masked Bitcoin versions. The
7 >> mask was added in Juli of 2021 [1], with the mask's commit message
8 >> indicating that unmasking is planned for November 2021.
9 >>
10 >> I doubt that the mask was ever needed in the first place, as it was
11 >> intended to prevent automated updates of Bitcoin in Gentoo. However,
12 >> Gentoo has no unattended upgrade mechanism. Instead, the user explicitly
13 >> triggers all updates.
14 >>
15 >> As this has already caused a little bit of friction, I'd like to get a
16 >> feeling of the community's view on that.
17 >>
18 >> - Flow
19 >>
20 >> 1:
21 >> https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=d0bbc4dcc33927cbf0ca27a054c430f6866ed72e
25 > Publishing a news item 2-4 weeks prior wouldn't cost much for us, I feel
26 > like just to make sure it'd be the right thing to do.
27
28 I am skeptical that a news item would be the right thing to do
29
30 First, I doubt that the package mask was needed, as I already wrote.
31 Hence unmasking the package is nothing that the users need to be
32 notified about.
33
34 Secondly, we never did a news item for Bitcoin in the past, even on
35 consensus changes. So I want to prevent creating a precedent that puts
36 us in a position where people expect us to do one for every Bitcoin
37 protocol consensus change.
38
39 Finally, the news item would state the obvious: Newer software versions
40 may include changes that you, as a user, may want to review before
41 upgrading.
42
43 That said, I wouldn't object if someone published one. Please let me
44 know if you plan to publish one. Otherwise, I would unmask Bitcoin in
45 one week since no fundamental objections have been raised so far.
46
47 - Flow